Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday of the Sixth Week of Easter

In the first reading, Acts 18, we see Priscilla and Aquila explaining the Way of God to Apollos. In the Gospel, John 16, we are brought into a situation where Jesus is teaching his disciples.

In our daily actions we all try to follow the way of God. Each of us do this in our own way, and in many different ways. We attend mass, pray, aide the poor, treat people kindly, etc. However, from time to time we need a refresher lesson, just as Apollos did in today’s first reading. But sometimes, learning opportunities present themselves in not so formal ways and catch us by surprise. I have heard a saying that when the student is ready, the teacher arrives. We need always be ready for the teacher. We need to watch for these opportunities in all situations.

I recently had one of these learning moments. Circumstances had me attend a mass that I would normally not have attended, and it turned into a great learning experience. Our own Father Joe gave what seemed to me as an off the cuff homily on maintaining our Christian Values in a messy world. This message hit me like a hammer. I sometimes get overwhelmed with what is going on in this world, but if I maintain my Christian values I am at least doing my part and perhaps inspiring someone else to follow suit.

Keep learning.

Domenick Lorenzon

No comments:

Post a Comment