Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday of the Fourth Week of Easter

John 14:1-6

I am the way and the truth and the life.

"Let not your heart be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going you know the way. Thomas said to him, Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?’ Jesus said to him, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’"

From this passage of scripture you could find three thoughts of comfort.

The first is that peace is promised. "Let not you heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me". Even in the midst of turmoil or sorrow you can have peace. Why? Because we have faith - we believe. We believe that even in the midst of the storm we know that God is with us. He is here. He is present. If you believe and trust in Him, God will grant you his perfect peace.

The second thought of comfort is that God has prepared a place for us. "I go to prepare a place for you." Though Scripture tells us that God created the heavens and the earth in six days, Jesus has been preparing a place for us for two thousand years. "In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places." God has prepared a place for us.

The next thought of comfort is that God has prepared a way for us to get there. Everyone wants to go to heaven, some just don’t know the way. But Jesus tells us "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me." We are all travelers on this road of life. There are many detours and many side streets. We don’t need to be confused - we don’t need to be lost. All we need to do is follow Jesus. He the way. He will lead and guide us.


In heaven, the lights are on, the door is open. There is a meal prepared. There are our loved ones and there is comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment