Friday, April 17, 2009

EASTER FRIDAY

"Rock steady". In today's economy Dad and/or Mom had better be "rock steady". Maybe the "rock" lost his job, (and the rent is overdue). God will provide I was taught. My rock and my refuge. HE must be very busy this year and digging deep with so many knocking on heaven's door for relief!

Where is this going? I was considering today's readings, Ps. ll8:22 and Acts 4:l-l2 - of Jesus, the "cornerstone", "the Rock of Ages" upon which our faith, our church, was built- of Jesus, model of strength and stability, and of our need today, more than ever, to keep building on Jesus's teaching and example so that as Christians we are not lax or distracted from our call to act as God's people.

I am no biblical scholar but I know the Lord's commandment to love my fellow sojourners as I would have them love me. It's a simple commandment which when practiced shows my love for God and all God's creatures - Those who are different from me in appearance, in language, in ability, and in circumstance, as well as those who are similar to me. How can I possibly follow Him in an impossibly complex world?

Mother Teresa tells us "Don't search for Jesus in far lands--He is not there. He is close to you; He is with you. Just keep the lamp burning and you will always see Him." With Jesus to guide me, the task does not seem so daunting. Yet, how to begin?

A good start might be by asking Jesus to light our way and to help us to build community, no small undertaking in a world at war, where hatred and inequality seem to be the norm, and where greed and mistrust and suffering and poverty are widespread.. What tools will we need to build on this "Cornerstone" praised by the psalmist when the stone is increasingly loosened by internal as well as external corrosive forces? How do we build integrated, intact communities and keep our families safe and strong and holy? How can I be a good disciple?

Rose Nickas

No comments:

Post a Comment